Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
dual head under xfree nv driver possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: dual head under xfree nv driver possible? Reply with quote

I have an nvidia geforce 4200 which i set up the nvidia driver and twinview and dual head works great that way, however there are severe issues with the nvidia driver and my motherboard or vidcard or the card may be damaged..

until i can sort that out, i find that the nv driver works fine with no lockups, however i really need the dual head setup to work so my desktop is 1200x3200 across 2 screens. can the nv driver support that? i know it doesn't support the twinview options, but is there another way to make this work? i had to put this into production while i am debugging the problem because i must have dual screens for my work. i probably can somehow do this with 2 cards, but want to stay with just the one. i really don't have the slot room for a 2nd card.

i would take the hours for research but for the fact my boss said 'devolopment time is up.. get to work' so i have no time for research now, plus i am assuming someone has done this already or there is a doc somewhere that is concise and works?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you want to do it with one card, but I can assure you it will work with two cards if you have to resort to that. If you get a second card, aim for a PCI TNT2 or better.

What are the symptoms that make you suspect your video card or motherboard is damaged?
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
I know you said you want to do it with one card, but I can assure you it will work with two cards if you have to resort to that. If you get a second card, aim for a PCI TNT2 or better.

i have no choice. i must use my single dual head card. there is no room for another card. all slots are full.

What are the symptoms that make you suspect your video card or motherboard is damaged?

been the gamut. i wont go into detail simply because what i did to prove it will take volumes...after i exhausted everything with linux i loaded win2k on a different drive and used various other progs and had the same results... basically symptoms are

1. after a random period of time x locks up, sometimes locking the entire system, other times i can ssh in and shutdown.

2. glxgears performs horribly, best time is 12fps and usually results in locking the system.

3. gl screensavers when even selected in preview in config lock the system.

4. this happens no matter the kernel i use or what settings i set in bios or in nvidia driver. i tried them all including agpgart or nvagp, fastwrite, sideband, agp 4x, 2x
... i suspect some vidram is bad for a start.

in windows i ran a program available on overclockers that tests the card performance and it was terrible. animation didnt work, and when screens did show up, they were mostly garbled with sections that look suspiciously like bad ram.

nvclock shows the card to be set at factory clock speeds according to it, which are cpu 249.75 mhz, and ram 513mhz

i listed this in another thread but cant find it now, so here is the hardware:
nvidia geforce 4200 ti 64mb
tyan tiger 230t motherboard with via apollo pro 133t chipset
dual p3-933mhz processors

and for kernel software i have settled on gentoo-sources kernel. i tried with and without the via chipset 'workarounds' in the kernel. i even went to nvidia and got the latest driver and manually installed it.

i am going to try to borrow a similar card from someone around here for a day to see if that cures the problem. i have written to nvidia requesting a diag program for the card and also about any known issues with the driver/card/mobo combo but no response from them.
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update to my problem:

it was the video card. i replaced the card and all is well:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: