Gentoo at vmware as guest
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matheus Villela
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Gentoo at vmware as guest Reply with quote

Hi :lol:

All the install process of Gentoo i made at vmware under winxp, and i have used Gentoo as guest because my modem doesn't have a linux driver, i have been made searches at this forum by 2 weeks, gatering information about Gentoo and i don't seach anything about making a migration from Gentoo running as guest os at vmware and normal running, and is this what i need to know, my Gentoo runs perfectly on vmware but I have tryied to make a "normal" run and doesn't have sucess, I tryied to modify XF86Config and -4, XFree -configure, and not works
I don't need a complete guide, just need to know what files and what configs i need to change to make Gentoo run allright
Gentoo is going fine, in 2 months off linux i have been testing some distros, i tried Kurumin, Red Hat, Debian and Mandrake and Gentoo at now is the one that I like more!
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please tell us the exact error you get | problem you have - otherwise we wont be able to help you.
Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the main things you need to change are in the kernel. If you use genkernal, you probably don't need to make any changes since it will load the apropriate modules. Remember that the network card and modem and sound card and video card will be complete different.

You definitely need to change the configuration of XFree. XFree86 -configure should be enough to reconfigure your video settings in Xfree. If that doesn't work, try

Code:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config

I'm assuming you installed Gentoo on a physical partition using VMware and are trying to boot off that physical partition now. If not it would be a major production to move the virutal hard drive to a physical partition.

You should let us know what kind of problems you are running into so we can help you better.
Matheus Villela
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the atention!
I don't put my problems just because i need to know the things i must change, my problem is the X that doesn't start, i hade do it XFree -confiure, xf86config, nothing works, i'm using genkernel and when I try to open X after a XFree -configure all becomes black, nothing hapens, and when i do a control+alt+backspace at the screen i see something like
/dev/xxx not found
/dev/yyy not found
/dev/zzz not found
look that xxx, yyy is just examples, but what i understanded thats the video device from vmware is diferent from the device from my computer
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when xfree fails to start u can see the errormessages and warnings like this:

Code:
cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep "EE\|WW"

there should be a hint somewhere to point you in the right direction
Matheus Villela
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already seen the log, at the end of the log say something like video device doesn't found, the same thing that I say above but by a diferent font :wink:

The problem is this, Xfree doesn't found my video device
WaaaW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lot of drivers for vmware, inc video card driver "vmware". Dit you use these?
Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His system runs fine in VMware, so the problem is in real life. What is your video card? Maybe we can help if you tell us more about your video card and the error message you are getting (other then "not found").
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: