View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reasons for switching from 2.4 to 2.6? Reply with quote

hi everyone.

i'm running gentoo-gaming sources for about 3/4 year now and i'm quite happy, although i've got some major deadlocks and stuff, i've NEVER experienced in a linux environment before. but those are quite rare, so i dont mind them all too much.

the question now is: what offers the 2.6 kernel series and the pain of switching from a very well working 2.4? is there REALLY speed involved? is it more secure? is more reliable? i'd appreciate short and pregnant answers. i'm poised to give it another try. all my past experiences with 2.6. and 2.5.xx where quite disappointing as well as concerning speed, stability and basic functions, like copying larger files from cdrom. i've always had problems with 2.6 and it's sure to be a hell of a workload making my system work with 2.6 as it does now with 2.4. so WHY could i possibly look into that?

(please spare me answers like: it's a matter of taste, or something like that)

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scheduler in 2.6 is much better than 2.4, this means that multitasking - an importand part of a desktop machine - is much smoother.

I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement with non-cpu intensive functions like file copying - that doesn't have much to do with the kernel.

As to reliability 2.6-test-something's have been powering my machine for a month and I've not had a single problem with them, YMMV though.

2.6 has better hardware support, so if something isn't working for you then it might be worth a try.

It's really not that hard to upgrade, just emerge development-sources - compile, copy the bzImage to your boot directory under a different name to your 2.4 kernel and create a new grub/lilo option. Then reboot and enjoy all the 2.6 goodness.

HTH,
Andrew
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed!!!

God, it is MUCH faster. You WILL notice the difference ;)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a little server oriented here are some decent benchmarks showing Linux 2.6 kicking ass:
http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of cource, ck sources have the ame schedular and seem to run much smoother on my system. i'll be sticking with them for a while.
ba747heavy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those benchmarks are really nice. But, my main question is, 1) (background info....I use linux for everything, this box is my main desktop machine, and hench I don't want to bork it too much :)) Is the kernel advanced enough to take over my desktop machine? Meaning I won't experience more than a few hiccups when I switch? 2) If I do switch, where can I find documentation regarding bootsplash, ALSA, and lm_sensors in 2.6?

Thanks 8)
standsolid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was on 2.4 and woudl be unrarring a file, my mp3s would stutter. after i switch to 2.6 (with identical configuration) -- i unrarred a 600Mb file and not one stutter. it's a big difference on the desktop.
wdreinhart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed! 2.6 feels faster especially when starting applications, and other times of heavy disk access.

Bugfixes! USB hotplugging now works properly on my system, and there are no more messages about "APIC error on CPU 0 40:40" choking the system logs.

l33tness! Impress your friends by running a beta kernel.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew_j_w wrote:
It's really not that hard to upgrade, just emerge development-sources - compile, copy the bzImage to your boot directory under a different name to your 2.4 kernel and create a new grub/lilo option. Then reboot and enjoy all the 2.6 goodness.

1. why the name should be different? Personally I have bzImage, bzImage.prev.1, bzImage.prev.2, bzImage.prev.3 and so on. Are there any special requirements forcing me to use any other naming convention?

2. I am sure I have to recompile iptables. Is there anything else I should recompile as well?
Moled
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
andrew_j_w wrote:

1. why the name should be different? Personally I have bzImage, bzImage.prev.1, bzImage.prev.2, bzImage.prev.3 and so on. Are there any special requirements forcing me to use any other naming convention?

2. I am sure I have to recompile iptables. Is there anything else I should recompile as well?

he means don't overwrite the old one silly
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moled wrote:
bzImage, bzImage.prev.1, bzImage.prev.2, bzImage.prev.3

Those are different names! I just meant don't overwrite the old one so that if you b0rk your kernel build for some reason then you can go back to a working version easily.

I have 2.6-test8, 2.6-test7-love1, 2.4.20 with bootsplash and 2.4.20 without boot splash all on my lilo menu so I have a lot of choice should something go wrong. You only really need one that is certain to work and a new test one though.

Andrew
aLEczapKA
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s p e e d
geez this baby is faaast !

I had bad experiences with 2.5 but since 2.6-test3-mm everything just gets better and better.

I use mm-sources (with Andrew Morton's patches) - his scheduler is really good (best IMHO) and for me it works very well.
Funny thing: I was once running huge mysql query in the background. mysql daemon was using 99% of the CPU time. While the query was beeing executed I ran wine with Tribes2 in a window - and the game was jumpy but playable!
The CPU time was approp. shared between these 2 main threads (more less 50%). When I chanded nicest level and gave 30% of CPU time to mysqld and 70% to wine - tribes2 was running very well.

In short: 2.6 will allow you to work and play in the same time 8)
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, if it's really that much faster i'll give it a try. i'm very interested if this "speed-thing" can actually be true or if it's only another placebo.

EDIT: btw., what about devfs and system-init-tools? first i use on my system and i've heard it's being kicked out of 2.6, and 2nd is required for 2.6, isn't it?

Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 2.6-love3 from 2.4.20-gaming-r3 and I only had to do one "advanced thing":

emerge nvidia-kernel && modprobe nvidia

Okay, that, and my mixer settings we're pretty much FUBAR'ed, but that was because I switched from module-ALSA to kernel-ALSA :)
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the supermount patch available with the 2.6 kernel? I'm keen to upgrade when 2.6 hits stable, but manually mounting and unmounting my CD/DVD-ROM every single time I insert/remove a disc was a pain.
NuclearFusi0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
Is the supermount patch available with the 2.6 kernel? I'm keen to upgrade when 2.6 hits stable, but manually mounting and unmounting my CD/DVD-ROM every single time I insert/remove a disc was a pain.
yes
hbmartin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
ok, if it's really that much faster i'll give it a try. i'm very interested if this "speed-thing" can actually be true or if it's only another placebo.

EDIT: btw., what about devfs and system-init-tools? first i use on my system and i've heard it's being kicked out of 2.6, and 2nd is required for 2.6, isn't it?
'

The "speed thing" is not a placebo. It's awesome.
Also, menuconfig has been cleaned up quite nicely.
You have to eneable "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" under the "Code maturity level options" in order to use devfs.

Harold
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearFusi0n wrote:
gkmac wrote:
yes

A quick, simple, informative answer indeedy! Thank you.

Another question, may be tricky to answer: I know that ALSA is now built into the kernel, but from which version of ALSA? I need at least 0.9.3c since only that version has all the bugs fixed for my Hercules Game Theater XP (cs46xx) soundcard.

From another angle, I said I was keen to upgrade when 2.6 hits stable on my desktop and laptop. My server, however, may not be kernel upgraded since stability and low-maintenance is the key. I've heard some servers out there are still running 2.2!
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
From another angle, I said I was keen to upgrade when 2.6 hits stable on my desktop and laptop. My server, however, may not be kernel upgraded since stability and low-maintenance is the key. I've heard some servers out there are still running 2.2!

Yeah, and I know of at least one server that's running an ancient version of Slackware with kernel 2.0.x series on it! The machine in question ran non-stop for over 3 years before a power outage got to it (no generator backups).

My own server runs 2.4.20, but will upgrade to 2.6.0 when it's released as stable since there are some hardware issues that apparently have been resolved in the 2.6 series that will make it work better. My home PC and work PC will switch over as well.

On the topic of 2.6, I hope the bootsplash patch gets upgraded to support this. I'm using the enhanced gentoo bootsplash patch (can't remember URL to it) with the MNG animations and progress bar that works, and boy it impresses my friends when they come over and go "wow, that looks neat, how do I get my Windows to do that?" and I tell 'em, "well first off, get rid of Windows..." Haha! :-D
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernovus wrote:
On the topic of 2.6, I hope the bootsplash patch gets upgraded to support this. I'm using the enhanced gentoo bootsplash patch (can't remember URL to it) with the MNG animations and progress bar that works, and boy it impresses my friends when they come over and go "wow, that looks neat, how do I get my Windows to do that?" and I tell 'em, "well first off, get rid of Windows..." Haha! :-D

Look no futher: clickety.

I haven't tried the 2.6-test series myself, but that's mainly because i don't really concern myself with bèta kernel testing (since i don't plan to contribute on this anyhow). My 2.4.20 is running rock solid, without skips, even under heavy load with intensive IO operations. But i'll definately be one of the first ones to switch to 2.6.0 when it hits stable. Maybe reading this thread will change my mind on this (my curiosity has been sparked ;)) so i might give it a try before it hits stable.

~searcher
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people consider 2.6 more stable than 2.4, myself included.

I just did a reinstall and only use 2.6 as it works better on my nforce2 board. It is a lot faster and just lacks a couple things like bootsplash. Actually some hardware only works well using 2.6
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i can tell by now everything seems to run just fine and i even seem to find a little speed improvement, altough it's not THAT significant over the gaming sources.

i need to make some more tests, like watching movies compiling and burning at once... let's see how it performs.

Zeos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedup is nice, but not my primary reason for giving it a go ....I LOVE the ability to finally write cd's without the ide-scsi emu....I can finally use my ide 52x burner the way it was meant to be used....

I used to average 19x with the buffer constantly going to 1-2% (near empty) ...the only thing that saved me from coaster city was burnfree (unless I slowed it down to <10x) ...now I'm running around 42x and the buffer stays between 95-100% consistantly :)
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's that got to do with the 2.6?

Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
what's that got to do with the 2.6?

it's a thing we are only now able to do thanks to the BIO (Block IO) rewrite by Jens Axboe (SuSE Labs) - BIO is possibility the best thing in 2.6 since it opens up for a whole heap of things like unifing the SCSI and IDE sub systems in a sane manner reducing code and thus errorproneness.
BIO is also what opened up for Jens Axboes CD writing patches for ATAPI (we no longer need to emulate SCSI to write CDs on a standard IDE cd burner - just like FreeBSD and Windows does it, oh yes, cd burning is MUCH smoother now). And those patches are what makes CD burning smooth in 2.6, it also means we no longer have to compile in SCSI support to get cd burners to work - so we reduce the kernel image size and thus the kernel is faster (small = better)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: