udev and CONFIG_FHANDLE (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: udev and CONFIG_FHANDLE (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Doing a regular update of the packages on my computer, I noticed that udev now wants CONFIG_FHANDLE=y. Looking to the udev upgrade page on the wiki, this is already the case for some time.

So I checked my kernel configuration, saw that CONFIG_FHANDLE=n for my kernel.

Updating the kernel to CONFIG_HANDLE=y and rebooting into the new kernel resulted in my computer no longer finding my keyboard - rather annoying. I use reFind as a boot loader and at that moment I can use the keyboard but once the kernel has come up and the init script have run - no keyboard. udev is at version 216 and my kernel is at version 3.15.10 (gentoo-sources). The system is ~amd64.

Going back to CONFIG_HANDLE=n solves the problem.

I do not understand. Can somebody help? Should I raise a bug (against udev?)?

Last edited by kdvgent on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running ~amd64 too but CONFIG_FHANDLE is enabled,no problem of any kind.
By the way I'm using eudev,don't know if that makes a difference.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: eudev vs udev Reply with quote

I would assume changing udev for eudev makes a difference.

Unmerging udev and replacing it by eudev anyhow did not solve the problem - and made me loose my network (I assume the rules sets are not fully compatible).

So I will go back to CONFIG_FHANDLE=n as my system has worked for weeks OK with that (and with recent versions of udev).

But I would like to understand.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that enabling CONFIG_FHANDLE was the only thing you changed? What kind of keyboard is this? What kernel driver handles your keyboard in the working kernel?
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: What changed? Reply with quote

I did a large update (monthly update of KDE) but in the kernel configuration, CONFIG_FHANDLE is the only change. Starting with the kernel where CONFIG_FHANDLE=y results in a non working keyboard, starting with the kernel where CONFIG_FHANDLE=n results in a working keyboard. The kernel version is the same so I would assume that there are no changes in the kernel build scripts neither.

Later today, I will build a new kernel with CONFIG_HANDLE=n and check that one so that I am 100% sure that both kernels are build in exactly the same environment.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will mention that I"m also been running ~amd64 on my machines. I'm using udev and checked my configs for all of the kernels I have used (and still have a copy of). Sadly, I only have from 3.15.0-r1 through 3.15.7 for kernels built for my machine. They all have CONFIG_FHANDLE=y set and I haven't encountered any issues on any of them. My system has XFCE instead of KDE, but that shouldn't have any affect on that part. Here's a copy of my config for 3.15.0-r1 that I used. Maybe you'll see something that I have that you don't. Do note, I don't have anything fancy really set in for keyboard input, just the generic support (That I've used for over 10 years). Just in case, here's my use flags for udev.

Code:

[ebuild     U  ] sys-fs/udev-216 [215-r1] USE="acl firmware-loader gudev introspection kmod -doc (-selinux) -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"

http://pastebin.com/xV66yLLG

Note: My typical update schedule is weekly, on either Saturday or Sunday. However, I have no problem updating earlier upon request. I have no problem risking on breaking my machine, as it just gives me something to do. :) The only thing I usually don't do, is update my kernel too often (don't see much reason to do so, considering how frequent there's a new revision out).
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Proble; solved Reply with quote

ct85711, hu

Thank you very much, you put me on the path to solve my problem.

First I saw that your version of udev (215-r1) is different from mine (216). So I masked version 216 but this was not the solution.

So I did a three way comparison between ct85711's kernel config file, my newest config file and the config file of the most recent working kernel. I then saw that in my newest kernel config file, most special HID device handlers were not set (including HID_MICROSOFT - and I have a Microsoft keyboard). Why? Reconstructing how I did set the FHANDLE, I remembered that I did not find this configuration setting when looking to the General Settings under "make menuconfig". I then saw an EXPERT setting and thought that this maybe would give extra options and indeed, I did found the FHANDLE setting afterwards. Little could I know that this EXPERT setting changed many other settings in my config file, especially the ones about HID device handlers.

So I started again with my latest working kernel config, looked better to the General Setting and found the FHANDLE setting without having set the EXPERT setting. So I did set CONFIG_FHANDLE, checked if the HID device settings were still OK, build a new kernel and voila, problem solved.

Stupid me.

Again, thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: