[SOLVED]Hardware input detection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozenpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Hardware input detection Reply with quote

I noticed a discrepancy for the output of
Code:
dmesg|grep -i input

between my gentoo and arch kernels.
Output:
[url=bpa.st/PZCQ]arch[/url]
[url=bpa.st/GQBA]gentoo[/url]
Config:
[url=paste.gentoo.zip/PFwdhsvy]config[/url]
It would be appreciated if someone could inform me of the kernel configurations which handle this sort of thing.

Last edited by frozenpenguin on Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hardware input detection Reply with quote

frozenpenguin wrote:
I noticed a discrepancy for the output of
Code:
dmesg|grep -i input

between my gentoo and arch kernels.
Output:
arch
gentoo
Config:
config
It would be appreciated if someone could inform me of the kernel configurations which handle this sort of thing.

Do not unnecessarily shorten URL's. The missing https:// breaks the forum's URL parsing functionality.

lsmod output would have given more useful information.

Having said that, CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4 might be necessary.
CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y is not good, you're forcing it being loaded instead of hid_multitouch of whatever is a better choice.

But I would refrain from further commenting until we gate the output of lsmod and lspci -nnk on both Arch and Gentoo as well as emerge --info.

Best Regards,
Georgi
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenpenguin,

I can see in your .config that you have tried to configure your touchpad (and you have set almost everything correct). I am sure you will need CONFIG_I2C_I801=y and not I2C_PIIX4 ... so this is correct. I guess you have a 12. generation Intel CPU ... because you have set: CONFIG_PINCTRL_ALDERLAKE=m

Here comes the problem: We had in the past some systems (*) with a 12.Gen IntelCPU, but they needed Tigerlake (which is 11.Gen). So: Try to enable also # CONFIG_PINCTRL_TIGERLAKE is not set

Please disable every HID-module, except the one you will need: CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH=m

What you can do also: Boot with UbuntuLiveCD and do a "lsmod" ... here you will see which PINCTRL-module was loaded (you dont see it when booting with our GentooLiveCD because in our kernel all PINCTL modules are configured statically into the kernel; and so you dont see it with a lsmod).

*) See more in the "device section" of: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6#Part_2_-_Slim_kernel

IF this was the cause of your problem, THEN please give us your computer model, so I can add it to the list. ;-)

BTW: If you boot with Ubuntu, check also if this module was laoded: # CONFIG_INTEL_IDMA64 is not set (if yes, add it to your .config)
frozenpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After adding CONFIG_PINCTRL_TIGERLAKE, the kernel detected more input; however, there are still some inputs not being detected such as the speaker. I also updated the config with most of the modules displayed in the arch kernel's lsmod.
Also I am not sure that hid_generic is preventing other hid modules from being loaded as on arch the lsmod shows both hid generic and other hid modules.
Gentoo lsmod
Arch lsmod
updated config
current inputs being detected
Gentoo lspci -nnk
Arch lspci -nnk
emerge --info
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenpenguin wrote:
After adding CONFIG_PINCTRL_TIGERLAKE, the kernel detected more input; however, there are still some inputs not being detected such as the speaker.

So, does your touchpad work now ?

Have you installed the package sys-firmware/sof-firmware for your sound ?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenpenguin wrote:
After adding CONFIG_PINCTRL_TIGERLAKE, the kernel detected more input; however, there are still some inputs not being detected such as the speaker. I also updated the config with most of the modules displayed in the arch kernel's lsmod.
Also I am not sure that hid_generic is preventing other hid modules from being loaded as on arch the lsmod shows both hid generic and other hid modules.
Gentoo lsmod
Arch lsmod
updated config
current inputs being detected
Gentoo lspci -nnk
Arch lspci -nnk
emerge --info

I think you might be missing CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP, but this is something rather annoying. It's the audio beep that emulates what we used to hear from the PC speaker but through the sound card. You don't need this, I bet you're not using your computer in the fb console all the time. You can setup a bell in you graphical environment or terminal emulator. Better yet, you can chose the sound it emits, rather then being suck with the annoying beep.

Best Regards,
Georgi
frozenpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if my wording was ambiguous, but by speaker I was refering to the output of dmesg|grep -i input and I noticed that on arch one of the inputs was a PC Speaker but this input wasn't in the inputs list of dmesg|grep -i input for gentoo
arch inputs
Gentoo inputs is the current inputs on the previous post.

Quote:
So, does your touchpad work now ?

It does, I believe it wasn't working earlier as it was not being detected as input by the kernel.
Quote:
Have you installed the package sys-firmware/sof-firmware for your sound ?

Yes
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozenpenguin wrote:
Sorry if my wording was ambiguous, but by speaker I was refering to the output of dmesg|grep -i input and I noticed that on arch one of the inputs was a PC Speaker but this input wasn't in the inputs list of dmesg|grep -i input for gentoo
arch inputs
Gentoo inputs is the current inputs on the previous post.

I'm sorry if my wording is not clear enough but I answered you above already. You most probably don't want that. Go enable that option, if you don't know where to find it, press / while in menuconfig and start typing part of the name. You'll see Location in its description.

Best Regards,
Georgi
frozenpenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is indeed something I probably would not want.
Thank you all for your assistance
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: