masked by: missing keyword
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevetmq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: masked by: missing keyword Reply with quote

[Administrator note: this post, and the first 2 responses, were originally attached to the much older topic Masked by missing keyword. As suggested by logrusx, this deserves its own thread, so I split it out. -Hu]

Can someone give a simple answer to a simple question:

How to I find out what "keyword" the "......gentoo (masked by: missing keyword)"?

Is there a command to list the missing keywords or a log?

If I know what keyword emerge knows is missing then I can decide what I am going to do.

Thank you
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevetmq wrote:

How to I find out what "keyword" the "......gentoo (masked by: missing keyword)"?

No, there is no simple answer to this. This error message intentionally does not give out any additional information as it is not an error that has a universal solution and you need to understand the implications of what you're doing.

Read the message as "this package is not supported at all on your platform". It really boils down to the individual case how to react to that.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevetmq wrote:

If I know what keyword emerge knows is missing then I can decide what I am going to do.

Thank you

Don't hijack threads. While it's true the topic has already been discussed here, threads also become too long too fast to be able to find anything useful in them. Open your own thread with your particular problem so it can be addressed appropriately.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a simple answer, which is likely too simple to be useful. The missing keyword is the keyword for your current architecture (in the Gentoo sense). It is missing because no developer has indicated that the package is expected to work on that architecture, so the keyword is omitted to prevent you from unknowingly installing something that may not work. If you determine that the package is functional on that architecture, you should ask the package maintainer to add the appropriate keyword.

Per Guidelines item #4, please provide the full command you ran and its output. That may help us guide you to a more specific and informed decision.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: