i got a copy of 1.4 and it wont load on my amd k6 computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssbqrp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: i got a copy of 1.4 and it wont load on my amd k6 computer Reply with quote

hello,
im currently using redhat 7 on my amd k6 machine and the floppy port will not work so cd is the best install for me. i have heard great things about gentoo so i got a copy. tried the tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-*.tar.bz2 command with incomplete success load to stage 2 begins in error. i have also tried the command from disc which replaces *.tar.bz2 with x86-20030910.tar.bz2 same result.
although this is complicated to me "i hate windows and want to develop my own linnux tar.bz2 someday" i wish there was an installation guide which read like a guide to newbies aka 8.5x11.5 sheet of paper.pdf.

i also need help in how to install packages that i have downloaded. "is there a rpm for a package installer?" rpms are secure and efficient so one to install packages would be great for "convertnix" if no one has coined that term i am but like linux this too is open source to user.

"what gentoo download do i need for an amd k6" for those who like it short and to the point.

i have lots of ideas to share if someone would take the time to teach me about kernels and package building "help me help you build a better linux experience" maybe we can slap windows with a convertnix package to shatter all windows.

smiley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you list exactly what commands you enter and exactly what the error mesage is?

Quote:
i also need help in how to install packages that i have downloaded. "is there a rpm for a package installer?" rpms are secure and efficient so one to install packages would be great for "convertnix" if no one has coined that term i am but like linux this too is open source to user.

I'm a little confused here. Gentoo uses portage as it's package manager. Are you trying to install packages that aren't in the portage tree? FYI, there's a couple of docs about portage here.
whatalotta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"what gentoo download do i need for an amd k6" for those who like it short and to the point.

Try the P3 CD. Worked on my AMD K6.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: