Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a Chinese Input Wiki or HOWTO?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index 中文 (Chinese)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Is there a Chinese Input Wiki or HOWTO? Reply with quote

I've been trying to find a Wiki or howto on how to setup Chinese input and display in Gentoo. My Internet searching turns up http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/chinesehowto2/ but I see that this is several years old and I'm afraid there is probably new info available.

I would like to be able to input Chinese in KDE into my web browser and instant messenger.

Thanks.
i13m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

我用的是scim和gnome, 你可以看看scimscim-gentoo
akar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refer to these posts:
kde + simplfied chinese + chinese input e.g. xcin
Scim安装指南,有安装的问题可以参照此帖~
Does portage have chinese pinyin IME?
[solved] 肥腫難耐的abcd

I think it is time to have a wiki page on this topic. :idea:

edit@20070606: use topic tag instead of post tag, how embarrassing! thanks beijingjj .

Last edited by akar on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it is time to have a wiki page on this topic. :idea:

I totally agree! If I can manage to pull together some basic steps I will post them but I usually get things working by trial and error without a deep enough understanding to post a meaningful howto.

By the way, the first link you posted is about Chinese input but the last three bring up topics totally unrelated. I wonder if the indexing in the database got screwed up. Here are the topics pulled up by the last 3 links:

1. gentoo primary master, win2k server primary slave help meh
2. GCC 3.3.1... problemi?
3. NASA going to wipe out human race

Meanwhile I'm looking to see what I can get done with the first link. And I am unable to display any of the Chinese posted by the first person to reply except for one character ni3.
i13m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, did you set up the page encoding to UTF-8 to display Chinese in this forum?

PS: the last 3 posts are linking to different locations, and they should be

Scim安装指南,有安装的问题可以参照此帖~
[solved] 肥腫難耐的abcd

PS2: find the 3rd thread Does portage have chinese pinyin IME?
akar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May you can also refer to this wiki page(in Chinese):

http://wiki.gentoo.tw/mediawiki/index.php/Zh_TW.UTF-8
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all, I jumped around a bit between these references and have gotten scim to work in kde. But I still have a problem. My font display is not quite working right. Normally if I view a page in Chinese I have to expand it quite a bit (CTRL-+ in seamonkey) to make it legible, and the browser seems to choose different fonts mid-sentence. For example, for the words
akar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beijingjj wrote:
Thanks to all, I jumped around a bit between these references and have gotten scim to work in kde.
...My font display is not quite working right....
By the way, I am primarily using simplified Chinese and am keeping English as my base language but would like them all to display properly.
PS - Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8816819@N06/538630998/

Now come to the easy part, after install some Chinese fonts, and a few step find tune through fontconfig:

Install Chinese fonts
==================
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~*' emerge media-fonts/wqy-bitmapfont

* you can get more information on the other font arphicfonts, which i also recommended in post: [solved] 肥腫難耐的abcd

Font Config
==========

I left this room <Blank> ^_^, as for your case. Please feel free to come here for any Open source Chinese Desktop Environment issues.
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Install Chinese fonts
==================
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~*' emerge media-fonts/wqy-bitmapfont

Thanks, I tried this and no change.

Quote:
* you can get more information on the other font arphicfonts, which i also recommended in post: [solved] 肥腫難耐的abcd

I had already installed this one before but I believe this is a ** font, isn't it?

I noticed just now that scim will not go to Chinese mode when I'm in openoffice. Do I need to do more configuration to allow this or is it simply impossible?

Another new issue that seems to have developed as a result of enabling Chinese: I can't run acroread anymore, it segfaults on me every time. Has anyone else encountered this?
akar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper Locale Setting
==================
Now i think it is the locale setting problem, i would predict you are using a non 'zh_' one? for example 'en_UK', etc.

Here is a possible way to get SCIM work under this situation, you should read this post: 我的中文 設置 撮要

Since that setting everything to Chinese(the interface, currency, print paper size), might not you want, so comment out the following two lines, and one extra line, in the .xinitrc file,

Quote:
#export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
#export LANGUAGE=zh_TW
export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8" #It means when i am inputting words, i want to input chinese also.

** You can find more about your system's locale capability and current setting by this two command:
Code:
$ locale
$ locale --all

After this, if openoffice still not luck working with SCIM, try with a Chinese locale:
Code:
$ LANG=zh_CN sowriter

Acrobat Reader
=============
Acroread has a bundle of Asian fontset for support the CJK, might it cause the problem? try to issue fire it up under the console command, error messages are there if it has change to say something before die.
Code:
# test 1: see if any helpful msg are given
$ acroread
# test2: see if a pure non Chinese environment, will make it happy.
$ LANG=C acroread

FontConfig
==========
I can see there are colors around some characters, e.g. "嘛", you can fix it by turn the sub-pixel off, via qtconfig, or directly though this command:

Quote:
# ln -sv ../conf.avail/10-no-sub-pixel.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/
beijingjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Since that setting everything to Chinese(the interface, currency, print paper size), might not you want, so comment out the following two lines, and one extra line, in the .xinitrc file,

Quote:
#export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
#export LANGUAGE=zh_TW
export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8" #It means when i am inputting words, i want to input chinese also.

Actually I only modified my .kderc to put this line:
Code:
LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF8"

I never specified LANG or LANGUAGE
Should that be the same as modifying my .xinitrc?

Quote:
After this, if openoffice still not luck working with SCIM, try with a Chinese locale:
Code:
$ LANG=zh_CN sowriter

Tried this, no change.

Quote:
Code:
# test 1: see if any helpful msg are given
$ acroread
# test2: see if a pure non Chinese environment, will make it happy.
$ LANG=C acroread

acroread is actually a script and buried in it somewhere must be the call to the actual executable but I haven't found it yet. No change when trying this against the script, though.

Concerning fonts, what determines which application uses which Chinese font? I've installed a bunch of fonts from portage but the Chinese fonts displayed in Mozilla do not change at all.

Likewise I tried to remove this japanese font:
Code:
media-fonts/kochi-substitute

and after I did that when I invoke "scim" I get all squares instead of some characters and some dots. That suggests that the system is trying to use this Japanese font, and not the Chinese ones. That would explain why I get dots instead of some characters. In fact, I'm looking closer now and I see that it only displays traditional characters. Where is should display a simplified character it just puts a dot. Where is this decision on font selection made? Can I assign priorities somewhere?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index 中文 (Chinese) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: