Help Installing Student/Gaming Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJMcDonald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Help Installing Student/Gaming Gentoo! Reply with quote

Hello, I have tried a total of five times to install Gentoo onto my laptop, learning more each time except the last two times. I have gotten as far as building the kernel but genkernel failed and I wouldn't know what would be the best kernel selections for my laptop would be; I need Gentoo for next term as one of my classes is Gentoo over at college but I'm not fully understanding what to have in the kernel. I have an ASUS G73SW laptop and I used Kubuntu beforehand but after my hdd became obsolete from a Gentoo mistake (it isn't counted as a hdd anymore) I thought Id ask for help. Anyone want to help me build the kernel/modules of my computer?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best source for a starter kernel configuration . Read the directions; ask questions.
Best install cd . Boot a version of the same bitness as your intended install to a GUI and network connection. Run a firefox window with the handbook in it next to a terminal window in which the install is run. Copy and paste.
rndusr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you should try manually configuring and building a kernel. It is not as difficult as it may seem.

As already pointed out, you can use kernel seeds as a starting point. I also recommend this page for finding out which drivers you need for your particular hardware.
Mepho
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.rhtmlx

This link coud help as well, put output of lspci -n in it and it will tell you info about supported hw and more importantly which kernel driver to use (press '/' in menuconfig for search).
Btw my mom was able to install gentoo on first attempt becase she did actually read manual (handbook) and refering links thoroughly. I encourage you to do same.
CJMcDonald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
I suggest you should try manually configuring and building a kernel. It is not as difficult as it may seem.

As already pointed out, you can use kernel seeds as a starting point. I also recommend this page for finding out which drivers you need for your particular hardware.

Alright I have done so and some of the drivers have not been named. I know how the cflag configure for my i7 is as I was helping my friend with that part but here is the list it gave to me about my laptop

80860104 Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller
80860101 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port
80861c3a Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
80861c2d Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
80861c20 Yes Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller snd-hda-intel v2.6.34-
80861c10 Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1
80861c12 Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2
80861c16 Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4
80861c1a Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6
80861c26 Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
80861c49 Yes Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller iTCO_wdt v2.6.34-
80861c03 Yes Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller ahci v2.6.34-
80861c22 Yes Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller i2c-i801 v2.6.34-
10de0dd1 nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTX 460M]
10de0be9 nVidia Corporation GF106 High Definition Audio Controller
80860087 Yes Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 iwlagn v2.6.30-
1b731000 Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller
10ec8168 Yes Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller r8169 v2.6.25-

I will input the yes's in, but as far as I see all of my USB drivers are unable to be read, my MEI wasn't seen, and my i7 was not recognized but I THINK you set that one in CFlags correct? I'm gathering all the information I can before I install again so I cannot have a chance of destroying my HDD's firmware, which im still confused on how that happened.
rndusr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJMcDonald wrote:
I will input the yes's in, but as far as I see all of my USB drivers are unable to be read, my MEI wasn't seen, and my i7 was not recognized but I THINK you set that one in CFlags correct? I'm gathering all the information I can before I install again so I cannot have a chance of destroying my HDD's firmware, which im still confused on how that happened.

USB usually does not need any chipset-dependent module to work. Just enable the drivers it recognised, and things should work. Read carefully the handbook section about configuring the kernel. It should be extremely simple to make a bootable, working kernel this way.

By the way, what do you mean by "installing again"? Please don't tell me that you start everything over each time you run into problems, because that is completely unnecessary. All you have to do is to remedy the step that failed.

I don't understand the part about your disk firmware. What do you mean by "it isn't counted as a hdd anymore"?
CJMcDonald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
CJMcDonald wrote:

USB usually does not need any chipset-dependent module to work. Just enable the drivers it recognised, and things should work. Read carefully the handbook section about configuring the kernel. It should be extremely simple to make a bootable, working kernel this way.

By the way, what do you mean by "installing again"? Please don't tell me that you start everything over each time you run into problems, because that is completely unnecessary. All you have to do is to remedy the step that failed.

I don't understand the part about your disk firmware. What do you mean by "it isn't counted as a hdd anymore"?

Same thing with NVidia correct? Or is that kernel module as well?

I was a n00b about that until we started working on my friend's Gentoo and found that out. He still has problems as well but different.

The time where the firmware wasn't recognized was when no OS(windows linux don't have mac) could comprehend the disc. We saved it but it made me very concerned.
rndusr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJMcDonald wrote:

It is a kernel module in the sense that it is loaded by the kernel. Read this to get it working.

CJMcDonald wrote:
The time where the firmware wasn't recognized was when no OS(windows linux don't have mac) could comprehend the disc. We saved it but it made me very concerned.

I still do not understand what you mean. How does it not comprehend the disk? What message do you get that indicates this?

You must have done something very adventurous in order to mess up the disk firmware, because there is no step in the documentation that involves anything close to that. I find it very unlikely that you have messed up the firmware.
CJMcDonald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
CJMcDonald wrote:

It is a kernel module in the sense that it is loaded by the kernel. Read this to get it working.

CJMcDonald wrote:

I still do not understand what you mean. How does it not comprehend the disk? What message do you get that indicates this?

You must have done something very adventurous in order to mess up the disk firmware, because there is no step in the documentation that involves anything close to that. I find it very unlikely that you have messed up the firmware.

When it wasn't working yes it did not comprehend it at all; it was during my n00b reset no problems now. But from what I see from my friend's install(he isn't done either) there are many problems with his computer as he's missing conf.d files left and right and he followed the book to a T so that's why I'm getting my questions answered now beforehand. Is there anything that can go unexpectedly from the handbook that there is a certain route of action to fix it easier?
rndusr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJMcDonald wrote:

When it wasn't working yes it did not comprehend it at all; it was during my n00b reset no problems now. But from what I see from my friend's install(he isn't done either) there are many problems with his computer as he's missing conf.d files left and right and he followed the book to a T so that's why I'm getting my questions answered now beforehand. Is there anything that can go unexpectedly from the handbook that there is a certain route of action to fix it easier?

Unexpected things can almost always happen. But if you are careful, and read the documentation, there are few things left to be unexpected.

By the way, have you managed to build your kernel yet?
CJMcDonald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerKanzler wrote:
CJMcDonald wrote:

Unexpected things can almost always happen. But if you are careful, and read the documentation, there are few things left to be unexpected.

By the way, have you managed to build your kernel yet?

No not yet, I have only one computer but will be attempting compilement tonight as I finished my college homework already(prereqs for Linux/Gentoo class)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: